Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Road Not Taken

I met Rob today at GhostBar in the Palms...he created LiveDigital during his spare time using PERL...and when I met him, all I could do was bow down to him because I had nothing to hold up to him...

Being in this industry, it's all about a meritocracy. It's not only about who you know, but it's mostly about what you do. He asked me what I do, and I just gave him my business card. When I asked him what he does, he told me he created LiveDigital on his spare time. Did I not only feel so insignificant in the presence of Rob, but just imagine if I was standing in front of Linus Torvalds, or Paul Graham; I would feel like a spec of dust flying through the wind. Why? Because, although I [and hundreds of other software engineers] feel that I'm a fuckin' awesome software engineer, I have nothing to show for it other that the stuff I accomplish at work. And even that, I can't show nothing for it because it's propriety software.

So, other engineers such as me continue on with their daily lives, collecting their paycheck, living happy lives with their families. Me, I won't be satisfied with that. Me, I want more than that. Me, I want to show not only myself, but as many people as possible what I'm able to accomplish.

Me? You may ask...Yup, it's totally selfish, and greedy; but when I strive for me, it's me who should be rewarded.

No more dilly-dally-ing with the stuff that I think I should know a little bit of; focus on what you know and become the best at it. Fuck the Jack-of-All-Trades...be the Master-of-One or as many as possible.

Why are you so disappointed at yourself, as you reflect on this crossroad of your life?

I'm so disappointed at myself, because I've allowed other factors in my life to get in the fucking way of what I really want to do. Thinking of others, of their feelings, of their thoughts, of their goals [instead of mine] really hindered at what I want to do. And I'm done with this...I'm gonna do what I need [and want] to do - for me, and for my sanity.

Millions of people dream to be someone they want to be, yet only achieve a small percentage to that goal. Not me...Not me...I'll check back in in a few (minutes, hours, day, weeks, whatever, we'll see)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home