Monday, March 13, 2006

The Reason for This Blog

"It's what you don't say which speaks louder than what you do say."

And I haven't said anything in this blog for a long time.

February was a very long month for miscommunication, mostly on my part, because of the quote above. Professionally, personally, etc. I've had many misunderstandings because of my lack of communicating why I'm doing certain things.

At work, I failed to tell my boss why I've been coming in late, missing meetings, and so forth. The problem here is my company is usually very forgiving to its engineers just as long as they don't abuse the system. Furthermore, it didn't help that my boss and I are friends outside of work, which made it harder for him to tell me, and made me think that he would automatically assume and understand. See, I was currently refactoring a major design flaw (my bad), on a new feature that I implemented for the company's software. This new feature is basically a more robust system for handling their DB writes (cached in memory until the user confirms writing to the DB) and configuration, so that all configuration is handled on the client side before being written to the DB. This sounds like it should be taken care of already behind the scenes right? Hell fuckin' shit yeah, I wish!!! The company I work for is in the midst of transitioning from legacy (really really old - like pre 1990 concepts and style) code to .NET, meaning I had to create this new feature based on the crap they had. For god's sake, I couldn't even easily implement a simple n-nary tree algorithm without some major design because of how data structures are handled in memory. Well, I didn't communicate any of these problems to my manager, let alone all the obstacles, bumps, and backtracking that happened during this wholetime. I was even coming in on weekends to work on this stuff. As I already said, my manager had to eventually sit down with me and talk about it.

I then talked to my bro about my situation, and basically, it all boiled down to the fact that I became very comfortable and complacent w/ my situation at work. I began to think that I didn't need to tell anybody what I was doing. He reminded me that I'm not my own boss - which is also a sad fact, but they own me - but that's for another post.

I've also been dealing w/ miscommunication w/ other people in my life. I didn't say anything before, and it's sometimes hard for me to say what's really on my mind. But I try now to communicate as much of it as I can. Unfortunately, I don't feel like delving into this part of my life. However, I'm trying though, I really am. For those of you who get frustrated w/ me, please call me out on it or be patient w/ me, because I really wanna tackle this weakness I have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home