Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, You're Far Too Kind
I have so many things to be thankful for this year; as a correlation, let's talk about this week's happenings so far. It was a good week and a bad week both at the same time. I don't believe in fate and/or destiny, but I do believe that the events in our lives happen for a reason.
First off, I am thankful for the misfortunate and malevolent events that have happened this year. Specifically for this week, physically, it was bad. Played basketball on Monday and Wednesday, and my game was just so off. My footwork felt like I was dragging my feet all over the court, knowing in my head what to do, but failing to communicate to my lower limbs to do what I want. Damn partying all the time - I think it's beginning to catch up to me. Consequently, on Monday, I incurred a level 1 sprain on my right ankle. Fuck!!! I can still do everything that I need/want to do, but if I let it relax for even quite a while, it'll tighten up and I'll be limping around, trying to loosen up my ligaments again. And with that, I am thankful for a level 3 sprain (coincidentally enough by playing basketball) that happened January of this year, causing me to miss out on the whole snow season. Furthermore, I must always wear this humongoid ankle brace whenever I do physical activities because I may permanently damage my left ankle for life. But because of this, I fully realize that although I'm young, I'm not invincible. Seriously, although I'm 25, there are still subjects on which I am still naive about. Like most youth, I am ignorant (more so as a result of apathy) about my morality. I now know I'm not, and other people are not. I've got to be more careful with my life and other people's lives.
Another physical mishap occured on Monday while I was cooking. I was cutting up some onions, then I idiotically cut myself on my left thumb. And you don't even want to know about Turkey Day. Fucked up my eating habit by not eating any meals from breakfast to dinner (because I was cooking) and ate a whole bunch after the food was cooked. Heck yeah it tasted awesome, but that fucked me up. I am thankful for beginning to take control of my eating habits because it's so hard to do so when food taste so damn good. Furthermore, I am thankful to be able to be fully comitted to whatever I'm doing. I would sometimes start a diet or workout routine, then quit after 2 weeks or so because I didn't see results or got bored of it. I realized that you just can't jump into something without learning the right way to do it first. I am thankful of the knowledge I learned this year, especially to those that have mentored me in the right direction to learn new things.
(Back to Thanksgiving Day) Then to make it even worse, I didn't sleep until 7:30am on Friday morning because my sis and I wanted to check out the Black Friday Sales which started 5:00am. Fuck that shit - I am never gonna do that again unless it's at Fry's or I really want something bad. I am thankful for being able to control my spending habits. Seriously, I was such an impulse spender before and I tried to collect so many things. But my bro told me something which I already knew, but didn't really take in all the way: "Prioritize." I need to know and realize what's important to me because I can't buy the whole world or be the whole world. I am thankful for beginning (key word - beginning) to realize what I want in life, contributing to my maturity and wisdom.
Now for the good:
I was really happy my family and relatives came down for Thanksgiving. It's been a long time since I've seen them, and I really missed them a lot. I swear, when I lived back at home, I couldn't stand these family parties; however, I now treasure them like gold. I miss hanging out with my bro, just chillin' and relaxin', getting drunk, fucking around, and messing with our sis and little cousin. I missed my mom and my dad a lot - the little (and big) spats we would have, and the talks we would have. Also my relatives - it was great seeing my aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews from both sides of the family. It was super awesome seing my cousins Halloween Weekend whom I haven't seen for the longest time. They've grown, I've grown, and we were all merry. Here's a shout out to my siblings and cousins (I know this is cheesy but I rarely do this) who I partied with recently: Joey, Princess, Mikel, Christine, (Tita) Andree, April, Ruby, and Julie. Thank You.
Since they are so intertwined, I am dually (and therefore squared) thankful for my social and professional life. This year, I've tried to be very proactive and taken the initiative to take on some new challenges. I therefore realized one of the greatest lessons I've learned this whole year: You cannot do everything by yourself. You need help in order to achieve your goals. You've gotta understand that I'm the type of person who does not have patience for incompetence. Therefore, if you can't do the the job, don't even try talking to me. If you fuck up on the job, don't even apologize to me. Just walk away. That was me before. If people fucked up, I would take up their slack and take on the responsibility myself. At the time I thought that was the right thing to do - "If you want something done right, do it yourself." NO - that is incorrect! In this rapidly shrinking world we live in, there is no way in hell we could do it all by ourselves. Bill Gates has Steve Balmer, Phil Jackson has Kobe (previously Jordan), Bill Clinton has Monica - oops I mean Hilary. If we fail to realize this, we would be doomed to take on the burdens of our regrets and failures in solitude. Together, we can carry it and live on to pursue our ambitions. I am thus thankful for the the people this year (and years ago) that have helped me carry my burdens and brought me to the state I am in. First off, the Outlaws (although we're all off doing our own thing, it is our drive, determination, and ambition that fuels each other) - Joel, Chris, Peter, Jen, Cristobal, Srithaface, Wierdo, Brian, and Georgio. My IMPAC peeps who have helped me achieve a higher level of professionalism and work ethic, but yet still remind me how to have fun - Josh, Pat, Dennis, Hemal, Vince, Chris, and Mike. To Climax, who has taught me how to mix business and pleasure like the perfect cocktail (I still believe business and personal don't mix, but there's a way to do it and Climax showed me that) - Chris (again), Kozmoe, Kayson, Mike, Elaine, Duke, Brian, Jonathan and Shante.
And most of all, I'm thankful for home. I've always disliked the cliched saying of "Home is where the heart is," but it is so true. I've lived here in Las Vegas since September of 2003, and it never felt like home until August of this year. I frequently went back "home" to Walnut because I felt as if Las Vegas was just a place for me to sleep while I worked here. Well, it isn't like that anymore. For example, it was great hosting my family for Thanksgiving, coordinating and setting up our lunch/dinner. I really felt like they were coming here to visit me, as opposed to meeting up with me here and celebrating Thanksgiving (if you don't understand the difference, try living far away from your family and you'll see what I mean). The friends that I've made here have made me feel at home. It's true that Vegas is a transient town and it's hard to make friends here because it's a midway point to their eventual destination. But I'm investing a bit of trust in the friends I've made here since they've already taught me a lot. And my family is investing a lot of trust in me to be able to handle myself in a city like this. Don't worry too much mi familia, I'll work hard. Thus, if "Home is where the heart is," then I've got 2 hearts - one in Walnut, and one here in Vegas. And I'm begging you Vegas, don't break my heart (damn that was fucking corny).
First off, I am thankful for the misfortunate and malevolent events that have happened this year. Specifically for this week, physically, it was bad. Played basketball on Monday and Wednesday, and my game was just so off. My footwork felt like I was dragging my feet all over the court, knowing in my head what to do, but failing to communicate to my lower limbs to do what I want. Damn partying all the time - I think it's beginning to catch up to me. Consequently, on Monday, I incurred a level 1 sprain on my right ankle. Fuck!!! I can still do everything that I need/want to do, but if I let it relax for even quite a while, it'll tighten up and I'll be limping around, trying to loosen up my ligaments again. And with that, I am thankful for a level 3 sprain (coincidentally enough by playing basketball) that happened January of this year, causing me to miss out on the whole snow season. Furthermore, I must always wear this humongoid ankle brace whenever I do physical activities because I may permanently damage my left ankle for life. But because of this, I fully realize that although I'm young, I'm not invincible. Seriously, although I'm 25, there are still subjects on which I am still naive about. Like most youth, I am ignorant (more so as a result of apathy) about my morality. I now know I'm not, and other people are not. I've got to be more careful with my life and other people's lives.
Another physical mishap occured on Monday while I was cooking. I was cutting up some onions, then I idiotically cut myself on my left thumb. And you don't even want to know about Turkey Day. Fucked up my eating habit by not eating any meals from breakfast to dinner (because I was cooking) and ate a whole bunch after the food was cooked. Heck yeah it tasted awesome, but that fucked me up. I am thankful for beginning to take control of my eating habits because it's so hard to do so when food taste so damn good. Furthermore, I am thankful to be able to be fully comitted to whatever I'm doing. I would sometimes start a diet or workout routine, then quit after 2 weeks or so because I didn't see results or got bored of it. I realized that you just can't jump into something without learning the right way to do it first. I am thankful of the knowledge I learned this year, especially to those that have mentored me in the right direction to learn new things.
(Back to Thanksgiving Day) Then to make it even worse, I didn't sleep until 7:30am on Friday morning because my sis and I wanted to check out the Black Friday Sales which started 5:00am. Fuck that shit - I am never gonna do that again unless it's at Fry's or I really want something bad. I am thankful for being able to control my spending habits. Seriously, I was such an impulse spender before and I tried to collect so many things. But my bro told me something which I already knew, but didn't really take in all the way: "Prioritize." I need to know and realize what's important to me because I can't buy the whole world or be the whole world. I am thankful for beginning (key word - beginning) to realize what I want in life, contributing to my maturity and wisdom.
Now for the good:
I was really happy my family and relatives came down for Thanksgiving. It's been a long time since I've seen them, and I really missed them a lot. I swear, when I lived back at home, I couldn't stand these family parties; however, I now treasure them like gold. I miss hanging out with my bro, just chillin' and relaxin', getting drunk, fucking around, and messing with our sis and little cousin. I missed my mom and my dad a lot - the little (and big) spats we would have, and the talks we would have. Also my relatives - it was great seeing my aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews from both sides of the family. It was super awesome seing my cousins Halloween Weekend whom I haven't seen for the longest time. They've grown, I've grown, and we were all merry. Here's a shout out to my siblings and cousins (I know this is cheesy but I rarely do this) who I partied with recently: Joey, Princess, Mikel, Christine, (Tita) Andree, April, Ruby, and Julie. Thank You.
Since they are so intertwined, I am dually (and therefore squared) thankful for my social and professional life. This year, I've tried to be very proactive and taken the initiative to take on some new challenges. I therefore realized one of the greatest lessons I've learned this whole year: You cannot do everything by yourself. You need help in order to achieve your goals. You've gotta understand that I'm the type of person who does not have patience for incompetence. Therefore, if you can't do the the job, don't even try talking to me. If you fuck up on the job, don't even apologize to me. Just walk away. That was me before. If people fucked up, I would take up their slack and take on the responsibility myself. At the time I thought that was the right thing to do - "If you want something done right, do it yourself." NO - that is incorrect! In this rapidly shrinking world we live in, there is no way in hell we could do it all by ourselves. Bill Gates has Steve Balmer, Phil Jackson has Kobe (previously Jordan), Bill Clinton has Monica - oops I mean Hilary. If we fail to realize this, we would be doomed to take on the burdens of our regrets and failures in solitude. Together, we can carry it and live on to pursue our ambitions. I am thus thankful for the the people this year (and years ago) that have helped me carry my burdens and brought me to the state I am in. First off, the Outlaws (although we're all off doing our own thing, it is our drive, determination, and ambition that fuels each other) - Joel, Chris, Peter, Jen, Cristobal, Srithaface, Wierdo, Brian, and Georgio. My IMPAC peeps who have helped me achieve a higher level of professionalism and work ethic, but yet still remind me how to have fun - Josh, Pat, Dennis, Hemal, Vince, Chris, and Mike. To Climax, who has taught me how to mix business and pleasure like the perfect cocktail (I still believe business and personal don't mix, but there's a way to do it and Climax showed me that) - Chris (again), Kozmoe, Kayson, Mike, Elaine, Duke, Brian, Jonathan and Shante.
And most of all, I'm thankful for home. I've always disliked the cliched saying of "Home is where the heart is," but it is so true. I've lived here in Las Vegas since September of 2003, and it never felt like home until August of this year. I frequently went back "home" to Walnut because I felt as if Las Vegas was just a place for me to sleep while I worked here. Well, it isn't like that anymore. For example, it was great hosting my family for Thanksgiving, coordinating and setting up our lunch/dinner. I really felt like they were coming here to visit me, as opposed to meeting up with me here and celebrating Thanksgiving (if you don't understand the difference, try living far away from your family and you'll see what I mean). The friends that I've made here have made me feel at home. It's true that Vegas is a transient town and it's hard to make friends here because it's a midway point to their eventual destination. But I'm investing a bit of trust in the friends I've made here since they've already taught me a lot. And my family is investing a lot of trust in me to be able to handle myself in a city like this. Don't worry too much mi familia, I'll work hard. Thus, if "Home is where the heart is," then I've got 2 hearts - one in Walnut, and one here in Vegas. And I'm begging you Vegas, don't break my heart (damn that was fucking corny).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home