Monday, August 29, 2005

Jap Mission #2 - Explore the Western Artifacts in the East

Excuse me for not publishin' lately, but I've been busy playing Zelda on the GC.

Another interesting thing about Japan is how they put their own spin to western culture (just like we do w/ japanese food, i.e. California Rolls - you'll never find that in Japan so don't event try to ask for it). Here are some examples of contemporary western influence in Japan:

These are 2 McDonald's Pictures. The top pic is of the actual restaurant in Shibuya. You'll also notice in the top left corner of the top pic is a billboard w/ Richard Gere endorsing some product. Unknown to many here stateside, American celebrities endorse many Japanese products for those extra millions. The bottom picture is an actual meal we ordered in McDonald's in Minami Senju. Forgot the name of the meal but you wanna know something kick ass about their meals? Instead of french fries, you can choose McNuggets instead - for nothing extra!!! That's pretty fucking cool!

In case you run out of clothes, they've gotta Gap in Shibuya.

Don't like McDonald's? Try Wendy's instead! (By the way, that's Joel in Shibuya)

I thought a lot of Asians in general are lactose intolerant, but it doesn't matter when it comes to ice cream! This was in Asakusa, across the street from the temple.

Joel @ Lacoste in Ginza. They have some pretty cool stuff there that they don't sell here in America like some shoes and man purses that are only available there. Speaking of man purses, (look at Joel, he's wearing a man purse), I don't think it's right for a guy to wear a man purse. In fact, I just remembered that he bought a man purse there in Lacoste to replace the one he was wearing in that picture!


Here's 2 pics of KFC in Japan. The top pic is the outside of KFC in Shibuya - diagonally across from the previous Gap pic. The bottom pic is me in front of KFC in Kamakura with my head in between the arms of Colonel Sanders. Notice how they "molded" him to look more Japanese - a bit rounder head, and a bit more Asian eyes. The crazy thing is that some people in Japan think that KFC originated in Japan. How ignorant! Hello, Kentucky Fried Chicken!

For all you penguin lovers, they've got RedHat support in Japan (I forgot but I think this was in Roppongi).

Joel, Me, and Eugene next to a bad ass lowrider in Shibuya.

It was actually refreshing to see their take and interpretations of western culture. Even the 'cholos' standing next to their rides were polite and very cordial. Speaking of cholos, dude I swear I thought I saw one in Japan. He was walking towards me w/ a Raider's Jersey, arms all tatted up, shaved head, wearing his loc's, and walking like a G. Oh yeah, he was big too. I was like crazy - a freakin' cholo is in Japan - that's awesome!!! But then he took of his loc's and I saw he was Japanese; what a letdown.

Anyways, speaking of urban culture - what's really interesting in Japan is that they're now just starting to catch onto the whole Hip Hop thang. Pretty fuckin' cool - the Japanese people I met while there loved listening to 50 Cent, JayZ, Tupac, Biggie, Snoop, etc. They would even recite their verses w/ all the cussing and shit - it was fucking hilarious.

I'm beginning to babble on and on again so let me give you my random brake lights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home